View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 7:11 PM
Rational urbanist

The City of Vancouver defines the difference between townhouse and rowhouses as a question of tenure. Rowhouses are freehold where you own the land it sits on, while townhouses are owned as strata properties where you own a share of the land along with all the other owners of the development. The actual building form is considered to be the same.

Kind of how like the difference between an apartment and a condo is if you rent or own it - the actual housing typology is the same.

As to the actual thread question, I've never lived in a rowhouse and don't know that I ever will. Vancouver's original building typology is narrow wooden single family homes on 33ft wide lots. Rowhouses/townhouses are mostly seen in new sprawl, and almost always in large 40unit+ complexes with internal private roads. Attached ground-oriented housing fronting onto public streets essentially doesn't exist here. I could see myself moving into a townhouse complex one day, but I really wouldn't consider that to be within the spirit of what this thread's talking about.