Thread: Regina Transit
View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:25 AM
I am a typical

The problem with a linear system is that when you put some people too far away from transit they stop using it. When our route 9 was re-aligned to run only on major streets, it meant the end of service to a sizable neighbourhood, and as a result many stopped using transit. (Though the realignment put it closer to another subdivision so I guess it balanced out?) :\ And L1 wouldn't be a fun route, just add another loop that over laps it on different streets.

I've been planning out a new system for Thunder Bay and it's hard to please everyone. You have to know the demographics of who you're serving. Where people from what areas are going, when, how infrequent a service they will tolerate before giving up on the system (though your plan for a bus every 10 to 15 minutes is great, I have a habit of always missing 15 minute buses and having to wait 15 minutes for the next..) You should probably figure out an interlining system, to limit the amount of transferring. You could probably have a bunch of little loop routes that are interconnected, and have them running cutaways or something. For seniors, maybe a transit-cab service? Seniors in the suburbs might not be able to walk that far for a bus stop. I don't know if you have them in Regina, but Thunder Bay has lots of large apartments aimed at seniors tucked in corners of suburban areas, and they try to serve them all.