View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 11:43 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
I agree about the current bike lanes that have been "added". I walk beside them everyday and while they're a start, they're definetely not the safest thing in the world since cars pretty much treat them like another lane, especially when turning right. Although, if there were cyclists in them people might become more aware.

Any ideas on how our bridges could be adapted to accomodate dedicated, safe bike lanes?

Ruckus, did you look at this past winter's numbers? Yikes!
Of course I did. But, are you surprised how often we don't hit -40? And one must remember temperatures fluctuate throughout the day. A cyclist commuting to work or school will endure colder temperatures during the morning commute. In the afternoon, the sun is out, temperatures are up and cyclists will enjoy riding that much more (willingly). Another factor one must consider is the duration of the commute. What policies, or designs can the city adopt to make commuting for cyclists less time consuming and more comfortable. Jan Gehl said it best "we must invite pedestrians and cyclists...".

We should focus on the good days, not the 10-20 days of bitter cold temperatures.

As a closing thought, if the city refused to construct sidewalks for people, given the cost, and loss of driving lanes for cars, should we expect pedestrians to navigate between moving traffic on one side, and parked cars on the other? Under all weather conditions? No, of course not. Then why do we expect cyclists to endure such conditions? (no need to answer).