View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:56 PM

Interesting thread.

I recently read somewhere political analysts arguing that Manitoba is more like Ontario than the rest of the Prairies (politically and economically). Of course, because more than 2/3 of the MB population resides in Winnipeg, this is really saying that Winnipeg is more like Ontario. I agree that southwestern MB is very much like the rest of the prairies in terms of politics and economy.

Winnipeg (and to some extent the Interlake, Red River Valley and Pembina triangle) area are more dependent on manufacturing than other parts of the prairies. Trade unionism is strong in Winnipeg (like ONT) but not in other parts of southern MB or SK.

The politics in Winnipeg tends to lean toward the centre (or centre left). In recent years, Winnipeg is like a microcosm for the national (read ONT) political scene (most WPG ridings went LIB this election).

Natural resources have always been a smaller slice of the economic pie in MB (compared to AB and SK), but Hydro is huge in Manitoba (more like BC, Quebec and Ontario than SK or AB). Am I right in thinking that there are no major hydroelectric dams in SK and AB?