View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Hi NYguy - Happy New Year to you

Yes ... I figured the towers described here had those heights. Dimensions only indicative, but it would be interesting to see these towers in 3D and inserted in the wider skyline of New York.

Who knows if rgarri4 wanted to do the 3D of these towers?

It would also be interesting to see Gotham Gateway Spire Tower - SHoP architects inserted (always together with those towers) in place of tower 3.
Happy New Year. Yeah, those heights are meant to be illustrative of scale. They have a basic standard of measurement to determine those things. But as we know, what actually gets built is always higher. I say you can throw in an extra couple of hundred feet to those numbers, not even accounting for spires or crowns. Things just aren't built the way they used to be. All of the new supertalls are taller than they would have been using old standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
While as you stated they're not at all the final heights I sure hope some (or at least one) end up well taller than that. This seems like an opportunity to build NY's first megatall, and even if not at least the new highest roof in the city. 12-1300' would be a disappointing tallest for this development and exacerbate midtown's new plateau.

Something that would rival Grand Hyatt would be nice.

Well, you have to consider what's getting built. No one's building megatall office towers. But mixed-use would be another thing. Currently there's hotel programming being considered on two sites. But on site one, there's the option to go all office. That could give the developer the option to include the hotel space there, above the office space, similar to the grand hyatt. Also, keep in mind that this development overrides all city zoning on the sites, so there is a little more design flexibility. Plus, there's the added bonus of the NIMBYs no being able to "downsize" it. I'm sure there will be lawsuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully the retail rents are fair in pricing. I hope Midtown recovers retail wise. Its been hurting badly the last 12 months.

We might see below-market rates for retail to attract retailers. Not just within these blocks, but throughout the city.
I don't think we'll get any retail on those sites for years to come, plenty of time for recovery.

So, what we have here is the follow up to the Hudson Yards and Midtown East rezonings, a new Terminal City for Penn Station. The Empire City.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.