View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 8:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
Random thoughts: Land of the Living Skies, Wheat Sheaf, Bread Basket of Canada, Resources, Oil, Gas, Uranium, Diamonds, Potash, Synchrotron, Canadian Light Source, Vastness, Welcoming, Accepting, Contrasting, Untouched, Natural, Hot, Cold, Meaning, History, Next to Alberta......thats the current view, but what about the future?

More musings and an idea for a more modern logo: What role might Saskatchewan play, or how might it contribute to the world for the next 30 years? (last update for logo was 70's)....I keep coming back to Agriculture for some reason and subsequently the Wheat Sheaf, but how has Saskatchewan changed since the 1970's? Has wheat, sheaves, farming, agricultural production changed in Saskatchewan? How? Through technology we achieve greater efficiency....hmmmm, a modern wheat sheaf is genetically engineered is it not? And harvested with GPS navigated combines, and shipped through road, rail, and sea transport networks to countries around the world....Take a globe and stamp a wheat sheaf on it, theres your new logo
I think that brainstorming proves exactly why the wheat sheaf is so good - everything really does come back to agricultural roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
As someone who currently works for the government, I can testify how frustrating and time consuming this logo change has been.

We've also been spending quite a bit of time going through every document and replacing the word "Department" with "Ministry", since our name was changed as well
Neat to get an "insider" perspective. I'm actually glad they finally got around to changing "dept" to "ministry" - we have "ministers", therefore we should have "ministries". Vs "secretaries of [whatever]", which would make sense for "depts", but that would be American. Hopefully the Feds will figure it out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
But on the other hand, I do like the idea of modernizing the logo. I think as a province, we need to convey that we have more to offer than wheat fields.
I disagree with "modernising" the logo, and that a logo has to "convey that we have more to offer than wheat fields". Like I said, the Maple Leaf has been around since 1967 - does that need "modernising" too? Do we need to change it because Canada has more than just maple syrup?

The brains behind this change have got it backwards: the logo doesn't define us; /we/ define the logo. Whatever Saskatchewan "is about" or "has to offer", comes out in what we do and how we do it, not the logo that comes attached to the press releases that talk about it.

What a good logo needs to do is be easy to read, versatile and flexible to use on different media, representative of the people (not literally, but abstractedly) and distinct. The current wheat sheaf is all of these. When such symbols of government and the people are so effective and reflective of our heritage, they're too, well, sacred to be changed at the whim of "style" or "trends".

(All the reasons why the scribbled "Regina" logo needs to go, by the way.)

Like I said, Saskatchewan will be hard-pressed to come up with something better than what it's already got. But if it just changes to use the coat of arms, I'd be happy.

Anyway, for any supporters, check out the facebook group: "Keep Saskatchewan's Wheat Sheaf Emblem!"