View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 3:00 PM

Beautiful Queenstown and Milford Sound on New Zealand's South Island

This past January, after visiting Auckland, Napier, and Wellington on New Zealand’s North Island, I flew down to Queenstown on the South Island.

I sat on the right side of the plane, which gave me a wonderful view of the Southern Alps as we made our way towards Queenstown.

Landing in Queenstown

After checking into my Airbnb, I made my way to the gondola to head up above Queenstown

Now a few scenes from the centre of Queenstown

Wandering along the lakefront

The appropriately named The Remarkables across Lake Wakatipu

The view from my bedroom in my Airbnb one morning as a shower passed by. Quite lovely!

I headed downtown to get some coffee from a pretty good little coffee shop

After coffee, I took the bus about 25-30 minutes away to Arrowtown, which is an old historic gold mining town founded in the 1860s. I spent the morning checking out the cute main street

The Arrowtown Chinese Settlement

I stopped here for lunch before catching the bus back to Queenstown

On my third day in Queenstown I opted to take a bus tour to Milford Sound, which included a gorgeous drive through the Fiordland National Park to reach the coast. After leaving Queenstown and driving several hours, we stopped for about 30 minutes in Te Anau, the final town before entering the national park

Views from along the waterfront of Lake Te Anau

Now heading into Fiordland National Park

Arriving at Milford Sound

Heading out into Milford Sound

Back on land after a great time out on the water

After the day trip to Milford Sound, I woke up to these lovely views from my Airbnb bedroom

I spent my final morning in Queenstown just wandering around and enjoying the remaining time I had left

I headed to the Queenstown Botanic Gardens

Walking back towards the centre of Queenstown

And that’s it from Queenstown. I headed off to the airport and departed for Sydney.