View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 4:32 AM
Candy Jail

Quote:
Frankly I don't care what you are. You may not be anti-development but you are a classic NIMBY. "Build the towers in Manhattan, I don't care but don't build it here in Brooklyn." If that is not NIMBYism, tell me what is.
You've already resorted to name-calling, quite erroneously, might I add- I live in Manhattan and I was raised in Queens. Never in my life have I taken up residence in Brooklyn. I have nothing invested in the state or fate of Brooklyn. I just happen to think that a project like this, which on its own is only minorly offensive, can set things off down a slippery slope of gentrification, displacement and degradation of the neighborhood. It's not bullshit at all. Pick up an urban planning textbook or Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" and get a fucking clue.
This is not NIMBYism- it's based in an understanding, rather than a total misunderstanding of good planning, development and growth. I honestly don't believe that a project like this will be good for Fort Green. It may bring great economic prosperity to the area, but, a city's success cannot be measured by economic prosperity alone. Cities are constituted by the people who inhabit them just as much as the buildings that compose their urban fabric and the two are extremely interrelated.
I also want to stress again that I'm not anti-development, nor am I opposed to tearing down shitty old warehouses and abandoned buildings to create new residences. The "problem" of housing wealtheir newcomers can be solved without resorting to putting up skyscrapers in typically low and mid-rise neighborhoods. One need look no further than density statistics for the Village and Lower East Side to see the level of density that can be achieved with the erection of very few skyscrapers.
If you don't know the difference between a highrise and a skyscraper, then I don't think that this is the place for you. All skyscrapers are highrises, but not all highrises are skyscrapers. For example, the other project that Kroy posted (the sixteen story Meier tower) is a highrise, but you couldn't make much of a case for it as a skyscraper. It doesn't impose like this tower. It keeps everything street-centric and just has more of an egalitarian feel.