View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 6:57 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
BC is a very divided province I find, I find our left here is more left than elsewhere while our right tends to be more economically right then elsewhere while being socially moderate to Liberal.

I grew up in Kelowna, a city many here would call conservative as hell, and you know what? it DOES vote right in every election.

But thats with low turnout and almost no one I knew there liked the BC Liberals/Federal Conservatives. In fact the latter so much there was a strong movement to elect Stephen fuhr in 2015 which was successful.

Kelowna is often thrown into the bible belt and compared with conservatives parts of the US but that wasn't my experience there at all, most people hated Harper when I lived there viewing him as destroying Canada's reputation, many were conservatives who bought the Canadian progressive narrative and reputation, they merely only wanted lower taxes.

BC is the most secular province in Canada with the lowest level of christian residents and highest level of non religious people, as a non religious individual in Kelowna most people under 40 I knew were also non religious, heck everyone even my grandmother didn't care about religion, and most people were certainly socially liberal.

The BC interior is conservative yes but many here are acting as if it's deep south style social conservative when it really isn't.

As for why the Canadian alliance was successful? A LOT of protest votes against the Liberals and provincial NDP at the time, really all it amounts to.

Kelowna is kind of the odd man of the group who doesn’t like the left but also not the right (at leas not the far right). Abbotsford has the same problem too.

West Vancouver and Langley are staunch supporters for right-wing parties (BC Liberals and the Tories). My mom has a hatred for left-wing gov’ts, like the Federal Liberals and especially the NDP. She loathes for tax increases, social spending, and is religious. She often fits along with people in Langley because of this when it comes to politics.

Surrey is kind of a mix bag. It’s mostly left-wing, but the further south or east you go the more right-wing they get. I often keep politics out in these areas, ESPECIALLY when it comes to religion and gun laws. There was a student in my high school chemistry class—which is in Northern Surrey—who (I assumed) lived in Cloverdale who talked about having US-styled gun laws to my teacher. It escalated really quickly.

You will have to keep you mouth shut in Langley about religion, taxes, and particularly housing. (Yes, there are some people I know in Langley who think David Eby is lying about the housing crisis.) Even students in Langley schools are right-wing—not all, but the majority. During the 2017 Provincial Election, 36% of students in Langley East (my voting district) voted for Rich Coleman, while barely 30% of students voted to Inder Johal, who represents BC NDP, and Bill Masse of the BC Greens is a close third. Mary Polak is also first by students in the Langley district. Students tend to be more left-wing, but this is not the case for Langley students.