View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I'm a Chicagoan, and I know there is supposed to be this big battle between the cities blah blah whatever, but I think that the ESB and the Chrysler building are two of the finest designed structures in the past 100 years. I am going to New York in August and you better believe I am going to be bringing my extra memory stick for my camera, as I will undoubtedly fill them to the max with these two amazing buildings! Besides these and other obvious landmarks, what are some other not so well known architectural beauties I should see when I head out east? Thanks
Well there are all the must see classics Downtown, from the Woolworth to the financial district, and they're all close. But for the not so well know, just explore the city and I'm sure you'll come up with some of your own. As far as the ESB and Chrysler go, I think another reason a lot of people love those towers is because they're from an era when there was so much magic on the skyline. Hopefully, we are seeing something similar now, with towers like Gehry's Beekman tower and Jean Nouvel's Tower Verre in Midtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.