View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Late twenties and early thirties is a bit lonely with no kids.
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
but you spoke about this "problem" within the context of actually preferring to pay money to a perfect stranger to watch your children instead of letting a grandparent (or sibling, aunt, cousin, etc.) watch them for FREE all because you find contact with your relatives so onerous and unpleasant.

i'm sorry you have such a crappy family. that's gotta suck.
One is transactional and one carries with it all of the attendant social obligations of friends or family.

I expect that I would often prefer having the nanny stay late rather than a relative coming over, for the same reason that it is much easier to go to a restaurant, pay the check and leave, rather than go to a relative’s house (bringing some kind of small gift, eating what you’re given, making conversation for probably several hours, etc).

Neither my mother nor mother-in-law are paid staff that could be called up at short notice to perform babysitting services for nothing but cash in return, but as a parent that is exactly what I would often want.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Aug 6, 2019 at 3:37 PM.