View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:37 PM

I legit have a hard time choosing - all of them are quite nice and a quick reminder of how cool downtown Winnipeg is.
Fort Garry Hotel is amazing but just looks a bit too castle-y ? In no way is it ugly just not my 'natural' definition of a skyscraper (even historical) - though it probably technically is.
Went with the Paris building as when the sunlight is on it (like in the picture on the page) it looks very high end / almost NEW - love the rounded edge facing the street corner and something about those golden / bronze 'caps' on the windows makes it seem almost to have an 'Egyptian' vibe. Also like the scale between the 'sections' of it - wish that top part had a few more floors actually (maybe 5 rows instead of 3) but may be overkill.

--

Does anyone have a good discussion article or something on why we don't more modern buildings done with these styles? I understand how architecture has to represent the times / like music can't just keep doing the same thing over and over again but even new music takes influence from older music / eras (lots of bands are picking at 90s vibes the last 5 years - before that lots of 80s lifts, etc). I believe its mostly involved with labor cost these days but wonder if anyone with an ego said "I want to make my own Chrysler tower" or something lol.

It would be 'fake old' I guess, but for smaller buildings in the Exchange it could help fit the aesthetic when the facade -type rebuild isn't an option (like if whole building needs to be torn down).