View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:02 PM
The City

More reason why Aldermanic prerogative is such a problem. It creates inconsistencies that could harm Chicago's ability to attract international investment.

Check out Curbed today, an article about the rowhomes at 42 E Superior being given an extension till March of their demolition. Of additional interest is that the prior highrise proposed there, the Carillon, was rejected by Reilly but brought in nearly $50 million from Chinese investors from the EB-5 program. That money was never returned to them!!!!!

I would be livid too. Another article that discussed a class action lawsuit by the Chinese investors against the developer contained this quote, which I find to be telling:

Quote:
Defendants failed to prominently disclose the fact that, based on long-standing policy and procedure for all development in the City of Chicago, and the defendants’ knowledge of such policy and procedure, the project required alderman/ward approval prior to the submission of a project plan to the city commissioner of development and planning,” reads the lawsuit, “and that the submission of any project plan to the city commissioner without such alderman/ward approval would result in rejection by the commissioner and failure of the project.
50 Chinese investors got ripped off (not the first time this happened in Chicago) due to some silly and corrupt local tradition. The word will spread, and people who lost a great deal of money will spread the word that Chicago real estate is not the place to invest.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q