View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:07 PM
There is always a way

^ I know a guy who is spearheading a project for a seniors residence for our community and we've spoken a bunch about this. They went to the province and to MB housing a bunch of times and it's exactly how Vike describes it. They wanted some subsidies to keep seniors living in the community and ensure that they could have a nice place to do so etc that wouldn't break the bank. They were rejected a number of times mostly on the grounds of the suites being too big (something about a max of like 600sqft or something of that nature), the finishes being too nice, and the windows also being too big. Also they wanted to include indoor parking but the province thought this was too fancy to give to people looking for affordable units as well. Now the project I'm talking about is stuck in limbo because they're looking to do it as a co-op and the bank won't finance them without 100% presales/commitments.

Anyways, I do agree, why can't we give people affordable housing that looks nice? It might actually inspire some people to keep their places nice, and from the sounds of all the MB Housing horror anecdotes, that's something we could really use.
Federalist #10, James Madison