View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:16 AM

Kilbride seniors building proposal rejected

Quote:
St. John's City Council has rejected a controversial seniors complex proposed for Kilbride.

It's the second time the development has been turned down. Some councillors said it wasn't an easy decision to make.

In the end, the nays won – voting six to three against the complex.

The proposed plan was for a three-storey assisted living complex for seniors with 69 rooms, but people living near the site fought against it. They sent council almost 50 pages of letters and submissions. Coun. Debbie Hanlon said it was a difficult to come to a conclusion about the proposal.

“I'm trying to take the personal side out of it, which when I went through a lot of the letters it appeared not in my backyard was evident,” she said.

When it came time to cast her vote, Hanlon decided against the complex, citing traffic concerns.

Others voted against it, saying the location wasn't appropriate.

Coun. Frank Galgay voted for the project. He said St. John's needs more housing for seniors.

“It would be an addition to that neighbourhood. People should be rejoicing that senior citizens are coming in,” he said.

Developer Sean Callahan says his company had come up with a way to address traffic concerns, but council ignored the advice.

He says he may continue his legal challenge, but he has to consult with his lawyer first.
see full article and videos at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ction-313.html