View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 10:11 PM

Traffic Bridge idea

Hi Everyone, this is my first post on SSP, but I've been reading your posts on this Saskatoon thread for a long time (and the Regina thread before that).

The reason for breaking my silence is because I view the Traffic Bridge replacement as an opportunity to do something unique and innovative and I have an idea about it that I have never heard mentioned from anyone else:

What about a covered bridge?

My thoughts are to build a concrete girder bridge, and put a nice shiny curvilinear steel structure overtop. Or maybe instead of using steel we could use some other durable or flexible material.

Think about it - would deflect snow and rain off the deck eliminating the need to plow or salt thus increasing the lifespan of the bridge, would offer protection from the elements for cyclists and pedestrians, and would be a unique architectural feature not found on any other modern vehicular river crossings.

Such a bridge diverges from the heritage element, and ideally the structure would have enough openings to let in natural light and have decent ventilation, yet still shed the precipitation.