Thread: North Side
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 9:18 PM

One thing that I personally feel gets lost on many people, is that plain and simple, not everybody wakes up in the morning with the intent on being their best. Some are content with mediocrity, and others with nary any significant accomplishments in their life. Sure, everyone would always want 'more' or 'better', but not everyone is willing to put in the work necessary to do so. There are then two types of poverty in my opinion. One in which you are in, but are scrapping to get out, and another in which you ultimately chose your fate, by making foolish decision after foolish decision, or perhaps no decision at all. I say this not looking outward, but looking inward at my own family. Providing somebody with a all the virtues of the middle-class doesn't guarantee anything, because ultimately individuals have to stand on their own two feet. Thus, although I might not use the words 'human trash', I would not call someone off base for referring to able-bodied folks who cost society dearly, in those terms.

Quite frankly, you can't help anyone who is not willing to help themselves first. Again, nobody wants to be poor, but a number of people are unwilling (and certainly in some cases unable - which is why social programs exist) to do what they need to do to get out of poverty.