View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:42 AM

BRT Station @ Mary Louise

Wow, how incredibly disappointing. The proposed BRT station at Fredericksburg and Mary Louise is in the heart of the Deco District, across from the art deco H.E.B. If there was one station that I expected to have unique design elements in keeping with the Deco District, it's this one. And yet the proposed design has a cookie-cutter industrial look without a single art deco element. Even the color scheme is jarring and inappropriate for the space. Are those cinder blocks? Dear G-D, please tell me those aren't cinder blocks! Via totally mailed this in. A grade-schooler could have come up with something better given half an hour and a pack of Crayolas. This is just completely embarrassing.

The HDRC has a reputation for preventing local home owners from making inappropriate design choices. Here's hoping they'll slam Via for this pathetic attempt. There is so much potential in this small tract, and given the incredibly high traffic with H.E.B., I assumed Via would take the opportunity to create a mixed-use space. At the very least, I expected a simple art deco design. Good grief Via, what were you thinking? I'm shocked and a little heart broken by this half-assed design.