View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 12:59 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
For those who aren't as brave as Kyle and prefer to stay in their cars, they've finally started building the rest of Wurzbach Parkway. The east-west super arterial will be complete sometime around 2014, I believe some 20 years after construction began on the existing sections.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...orward-on.html
For those who aren't as *dumb* as Kyle.

My fastest door to door commute has been an hour. The drive takes me about 12 minutes.

I have some thoughts that I'll lay out properly when I get them straight, but the main concern is that the system will NEVER get people out of their cars with a 500% increase in commute times.

The bus, in order to be financially viable, has to cater to the almighty Transfer Center.

I, for instance, am trying to ride from Fred Rd & I-10 to Fred Rd & Huebner. The 91 bus runs the Fred corridor. Only it makes a 15 minute loop in the medical center to faciliatate the transfers, effectively killing the efficiency of my commute.

If only there were a RAIL SYSTEM that took a hard line (pun?) and forced us to live on the line we needed to be on (I used to imagine the 91 as a line - no more) and take the straight shot to wherever we are going.

Putting Tansfer Centers off the "line" (lowering effeciences, decreasing forced density, raising commute times) may end up being one of the follies of the system.