View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Probably once every other week. This isn't groundbreaking criticism - Market East isn't very nice. Perhaps, like life, it's all relative?

Well - most city's (NYC especially) during the late 70s early 80s were in a period of crazy crime and urban flight.

However, The Gallery I opened in 1977 and Gallery II opened in (i think) 1983 - and anecdotally and promotionally, the whole complex - as hard is it is to believe now - was something of a marvel. Like, it was a popular attraction for about a decade. Also, many of the major department stores were open in all their glory (e.g. Wanamakers, Strawbridges, Gimbels, JC Penney). The CC Commuter Tunnel - a massive infrastructure endeavor - was under construction promising a brand new commuter station and regional access. Also, during this time, the plans to relocate the Convention Center - and renovate the Reading Terminal Grand Hall - another huge investment - were underway.

In other words, there was maybe more investment and optimism in ME during that period than at any other time since it's pre-war department store heyday. So, enter Aramark - which I'm assuming was sold on this area's sizable momentum and they take a financial risk and commit to building a new tower which opens...in 1984. I really don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that (given what they were expecting in 1982) Aramark probably has been a bit disappointed over the last 30 years at how ME has turned out - and frankly I don't blame them.
Did they sign a 30 year lease, or did they continue to "stick it out" through the disappointments? If they've been itching to leave, now would be an odd time to do it based on dissatisfaction with Market East alone. The west part of Market Street is lacking the sleazy businesses that it once had, but it's hardly less of a work in progress.