View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
I believe City Hall has unveiled a plan to clean up Regina's core area. The drawings I saw in the Leader Post last year showed 11th Ave east of Broad St transformed into a market type setting like the Scarth St Mall. It looked very nice, however, the city has its work cut out for it. The 1700 block of Montreal St, Halifax St, Toronto St (etc) all the way south to College Ave are full of delapitated rental homes ready for the bulldozer. I believe the potential is there for the core area to be transformed into another Cathedral type area. 11th Ave already has shops like Oscars Deli, some Chinese resturants, Butcher shops and Ukranian Coop. However, the surrounding area is crap. The slum lords have to be delt with first.
The Core area doesn't exist anymore. It is the Heritage Area as outlined by the new plan. The Canterbury Park development going up on the SE corner of College and Broad will do wonders to help improve the area. Its only a matter of time that it becomes the new Cathedral area. Its all about bringing people in who have money to spend. Because they have money, the businesses will come and the improvements will be seen. The people who are taking the chance to move to the downtown area will have to trust that philosophy.