View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:11 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly View Post
People who live downtown own cars and want a parking spot. If I could take the trolley to my office then I would but I cannot so I drive there. Parking spaces already exist downtown, so people have the right to park in them. No parking downtown and park in garages, my assumption would be garages would inflate their monthly parking prices and it would be ridiculous. I do take advantage of the amenities downtown and rarely if ever go to strip malls. The transit in SD is not that great or I would use it more. Maybe you use transit more than I do, and do not own a car - wonderful. But most people own cars and need a place to park them - just the reality we live in. I am all for building, try and find another post where I say do not build a structure there. I usually say build more and build higher, but if you dig in and read about this place, to me it does not make sense. This city deserves better whether a Bosa building or low-income being built. Once built, these structures are here for the rest of our lifetime (probably)
People think because they own a car they are entitled to a parking space, but they aren't. No one has a right to park their car. No one has a right to own a car. It's a personal choice, and a privilege.

Similarly, no one is forced to live in an apartment complex without parking, they can choose to move into a more expensive complex that has one or pay for parking offsite.

When you require onsite parking, especially an underground garage, costs go up. Those relatively affordable 1300-1400/month units would be much more expensive if parking was included, pricing out those who need housing most. And for what? So entitled folks can have a place to park their private property? I think we need more affordable housing for people more than we need free housing for cars.