View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:59 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The final RFP was put up for the Michael Reese site. Looks like the city is also advertising the Marshalling Yard and Advocate/McDonald's site to the west and north as well. Seems they want to have all responses by February 22nd, and select a developer on April 6th.

https://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/e..._RFP_FINAL.pdf
Ugh, I hate this. Fucking can't stand how people in Government think sometimes. It's going to be the same shit. One of 3 or 4 well connected master developers will bid, somebody will win, and some splendid master plan will be approved. The plan will be some sort of monotonous, overscaled development and perhaps 1/3 of it will be built until the next cycle and a new round of bidding and master developers.

I'd love Chicago to talk the talk and actually do one thing that breaks down barriers to more than just the 8 connected people out there. How about sending a message to Texas that we're finally getting it--we can adapt and join the game of creating opportunities for the smaller guys out there. Getting rid of a few licenses and permits is symbolic crap. You want to open up some opportunities and investment? Divide up this land into prezoned lots and allow it to develop organically. Let some businesses thrive, let a real set of neighborhoods get built, the way Chicago was. The alternative will almost certainly be McCaffery or Antunovich making some great renderings, followed by a bait and switch, followed by large parking lots, followed by Subway and Jimmy Johns and perhaps a giant Whole Foods that will make Tina Feldstein cream her pants. I already see how this crap is gonna go down.