View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:23 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
The original map is pretty stupid. Greater Appalachia goes into New Mexico, and also seemingly includes Dallas? Why is there one county in northern Iowa that is Yankeedom and is surrounded on three sides by the Midlands? What makes that county so much different? The NYC metro is so distinctive that it is separate from the rest of Yankeedom and New Jersey, but parts of the Dakotas, parts of Colorado, and parts of New Mexico are more similar to parts of New Jersey than NYC?
I think all of the maps are pretty ridiculous.

I'm sure most that are familiary with me know that I scrutinize how outsiders classify Alabama. Alabama's Big 4 (Tuscaloosa is making a run to be the 5th "Big") are all extraordinarily different culturally, economically, and ecologically.

Painting with such a broad brush placing many different regions is horribly shortsighted and ignorant. I'm going on a 5th year living in Birmingham, and while I'm more than comfortable in larger cities, such a dense and urban environment still feels a bit foreign to me. Growing up in North Alabama, I was (maybe still am) used to a lot of flat terrain, a highly educated workforce, great school systems, and very frequent, violent weather. None of those things really fit in something called the "Upper South", "Greater Appalachia", or the "Deep South".

Many of these cultural designations are simply phantasmal and do a diservice by categorizing citizens that live in these reigons into groups that are wholly inaccurate representations of their cultural identity.

Hope that made since... I'm on my 3rd glass of wine.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State