View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
Meh

kool maudit posted a thread the other day in 'City Discussions' titled: "love haters", funny title, but it dealt with asking people to state what they love and hate about their city.

The link to the thread:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=135999

And what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
For Austin.

Love the culture, the music, creativity of the city's citizens and the encouragement of art in just about any form. Love the progressive/forward thinking views. Love the acceptance of different people. Love the parks. Love that the city is mindful of nature and the environment, recycles and supports green building. Love the scenic topography of the region. Generally love the weather, especially our spring and fall seasons. LOVE the food.

Hate the traffic, the sprawl which is encroaching on the Hill Country. Generally dislike hot weather, though I can stand it, but hate the humidity of late spring/early summer. Hate that there's no better alternative to roads, we need more rail transit. Lightrail in the city, street cars and a high speed commuter train between Austin and San Antonio. Our highways need updating, (I-35 is 50 years old). I hate and fear the idea of Austin becoming just like every other city in America. Need more affordable housing in downtown, something below $200,000 would be nice.

It's ok to be critical of your city. Infact it's a positive thing to be negative about the negative things about your city, or even of another city that you happen to care about. It gets the city officials to do their jobs.