View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:40 PM
Crane Goddess

One thing that some of these architects need to learn- it doesn't matter how much critics or other architects like a building, or how well it fits in with the design trends du jour, or how "classic" it is. People need to relate to it for it to be a full success. The architectural community hated the WTC, but alot of people liked it- it was a landmark, and an accessable one at that- you could go to the top for the food or the view, and enjoy it. Many people since 9/11 have said that coming into NYC from outside, when you saw the towers, they knew they had arrived- it felt like they were home.

I guess I'm in the minority when I don't think that looks are the ONLY thing that matter in a building. What good is cutting edge design if the architectural community likes it, but the people who have to deal with it every day hate it or just can't relate? After 9/11 I saw so many architects dismissing the WTC, saying "Oh well, they were ugly anyway, no big loss" or some variant thereof. They completely ignored and brushed off as insignificant the fact that their image was known and loved by people all over the world. It's almost like having a person in your neighborhood murdered- that person being a friend and familiar face to many. And then some jackass afterward saying "Oh well, no big loss that they're dead. It's not like they were a supermodel or anyone important".
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5