View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You thought the snow was bad before? We're under a state of emergency because yesterday we received more snow in a single day than we ever have before, more than 76cm (30") - hurricane-force winds, zero visibility. Madness.

So, the heavy snow began in the morning. It was stormy, sure, but just a normal snow day for us. Schools, shopping malls, government offices, public transit, etc. were all closed as usual but gas stations, most groceries, and the like were still open.

Blizzard by R C, on Flickr

I tried to keep the front door clear, and a good buzz going.

But as the sun set, the hurricane-force winds picked up (apparently equivalent to a Category 2 for brief periods, though there's a good chance the measurement instrument was broken). The City declared a state of emergency, forcing all businesses to close and all vehicles off the roads.

The electricity went out and the wind blew my front door in and broke the door knob clear off. I tried to fix it but couldn't get it to go back together, so I blocked it as best I could to try to keep it closed.

jeddy1989 invited me down to wait out the storm with TV and cards (they still had electricity) so I replaced the doorknob on the front door with one from a bedroom and headed out. It took me about 45 minutes to make it the few blocks to his house. Only one main street was plowed. Everywhere else the drifts were up to my hips or chest.

Note the car on the bottom right:

Made it to their's at the bottom of the hill and had a lovely evening.

Just got home again now after a photo run around town. Holy fucking shit. I cannot believe how little snow there is in the pictures above compared to what happened everywhere else in the core. We were so lucky. You'll see in a bit lol

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 18, 2020 at 7:01 PM.