View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
I absolutely agree. Every single "retro" stadium that came out after Camden was pretty much awful. It's nice to see HOK catch up to the European sprots architecture going on, plenty of which is very impressive. Obviously the old ballparks need to be saved (I miss Yankee Stadium already), but if you're building a new one, make it innovative and modern, not more of the usually inaccurate and ugly "retro" look.
I whole heartedly agree. Take the New Busch Stadium for example, it's so unoriginal that they even named it the same as the old stadium. I hate it. It replaced the old so called cookie cutter stadium that was critisized by the organization and some fans (I don't know who honestly) for being unoriginal and they replaced it with something unoriginal. Which is about par for the course for this ownership group of the Cardinals, but that's for a different forum. lol

What gets me is you go to a game there and the seats are cramped, and if you sit up high you practically need a Sherpa to guide you to your seat the incline is so steep. Then you need a telescope to see the players numbers. Top it off with being totally uninspiring as you walk up to it and well you are in for a crappy ballpark experience.

The old Busch Stadium as "unoriginal" as it may have been had a certain feel to it. You could just catch glimpses of it from blocks away that would start getting you excited and once you got inside you were totally immersed in baseball. You couldn't really see the city outside except for the tops of what few skyscrapers St. Louis has and to me that was pretty cool. For the length of the game you were diverted from the outside world and all that matter was baseball. It was cool.

/rant about Busch Stadium. lol

I just feel shafted, this may have been the one shot in my life for my favorite team to build a new stadium and they cheaped out and followed the crowd. They definitely had a chance to do something special and failed.