View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Not sure how books, which are made from a natural renewable resource, is unsustainable. Its extremely shortsighted to think we should move all knowledge to digital formats, especially when all it takes is one solar flare, like what happened in the 1800s, or a nuclear war, which we are closer to more than ever today, to completely wipe out all the digital information we have stored (books outside the blast zone can withstand the more widespread EMP). Less people may be reading nowadays but it has more to do with other distractions (i.e. video games, television, etc.) than it has to do with better access to digital content. Once people realize that sharing knowledge and reading is more important than ever in a service-based economy, reading will make a come back. And like this millennial, and many other people I know, from my girlfriend, to her father, to the people who use the many "corner libraries" that exist throughout our cities, there will always be a large segment of the population who prefers paper books. Remember, not everyone is like you or roryn1.
That’s fine that not everyone is like me - but as a taxpayer that owns a condo two blocks from the current downtown library I can see 60 Million going to better use - and a lot of people if not more agree with me, hence the shape of the current library. I’ve been there once and a fancy building with phone plugins and a coffee shop will not incentivize me nor my friends who are still students to hang out there when a library at the university (that’s also open to anyone) has areas that are busy to deafening quiet to read with a Starbucks - all 5 minutes away.