View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:47 PM

[QUOTE=WoodlandCritter;8299190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post

As much as I think paper books are only a couple generations away from complete obsolescence, I do think public libraries will be an important place for learning, disseminating and understanding published information - I'm just not sure in which form. I think the concept of libraries are well suited to small lecture halls, quiet study areas, small meeting rooms, digital interface with internet for individuals and groups etc. I think there is also opportunities to incorporate more science and tech (offering access to lab equipment for public use, technology to build/create/innovate such as makerspaces etc).

QUOTE]

As per my previous post. Take a look at the link.

I will disagree on the coming obsolete nature of paper books though
Just did, and I think it's closer to what all public/civic libraries of the future will offer. The place will be just as important as ever, the architecture will have a major influence on the reason people go to the place, and libraries will always be libraries even if there are barely any paper books. As to the future of those paper books, our grandkids will tell us how it is in a few decades.