View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:55 PM

^^Sadly the "Calgary way" of self aggrandizement + dumping on others has been a "thing" for many years now. They have turned winning the "geologic lottery" of sitting on vast oil reserves into an assumed virtue based on superior intelligence and character. It's truly sickening, but I wonder if I see cracks in the "golden city on the hill" mythology Calgary is infamous for?

They have been nursing a roughly 25% downtown office vacancy rate for a while now. I can see demand for their two main products, oil and beef, start to decline, as the reality of climate change forces people to seriously look into alternate energy sources, and changing tastes for plant-based proteins lessen demand for beef.

I could be wrong of course, but I honestly think these things are a trend we see now, not just a "neo-hippy" fantasy. Of course the powers that be in Alberta will use their accumulated wealth to try to fight this sort of change for as long as possible, and with it the myth of Calgary superiority will continue for a while. Personally, though, I hope I live long enough to see the end of it.