View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
We do almost exclusively private developments, and to echo Biff's statement - BECAUSE the architects we work with already spec higher end things (like and especially like - windows) the designs we already do just about cut the mustard. The most major area of increase is for foundation insulation.

When we hear people on this forum proudly proclaiming $50 to $100 per square foot costs for construction - you can damn well be sure this isn't building a Taj Mahal. It is definitely bargain basement. That's fine. People are free to do what they do to make a buck. Same as people are free to willingly purchase or rent the end product.

People building bargain stuff is what makes up half of our fees over a year. They always use the same consultants, and the lawyers for the other side pay plenty of fees for us to come in and try to clean up their mess.

I made $1M on that 3000 SQF building I did for $50 a foot in 1995. That was 15 years of rent, a billboard ($5000 a year) and profit on the sale of $350K profit.

I would like to know how much money 511 River lost. Ask your boss.

I know every square inch of that building. I know Ben Haber personally.

Kid, you should not knock people who have actually built. Maybe you built a birdhouse so congrats are in order.

Last edited by Winnipeg Architect; Dec 2, 2014 at 12:24 AM.