View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 9:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
It seems, Staten Island, my work here is done. *bow*

This is brilliant. I'm floored, I can't explain how happy this makes me. My hometown, my home-borough, no longer forgotten...at the very least, less forgotten. I love the path-lines from Richmond Terrace to the waterfront...this outlet mall looks like a more grounded version of the Seaport. What's more, the wheel itself does not look as out of scale as I thought it might. The form is so airy that it doesn't oppress. Well done, all involved, well done.
It's great news, especially to see so much support behind this project. And no public money will be spent for either development. The parking that's being replaced will be expanded. And finally there's a major draw to the area, whether it be the wheel or the outlets. New York has no shortage of tourists and shoppers, and this is just throwing raw meat to those masses.

It will be a wonderful experience, and people will get to see more of New York the way it really is, not just landlocked in Manhattan. The breathtaking views of the harbor in all its majesty, from Manhattan to the ocean, Brooklyn to Jersey, even Staten Island will be laid out for all to see finally. The designs will be refined of course, the rooftop park on the wheel complex could use more work. But this is a reminder to people that New York is not done yet. It's a living, vibrant City, with more changes to come, things to get built. There will always be something new on the horizon, even when some people think there's enough already. And that's just one reason I love it.

Anyway, you know it's big news when all of the politicians show up for the press conference. Some quotes from various officials and developers:

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgo...&rc=1194&ndi=1

Quote:
-“The New York Wheel is destined to become one of the City’s—and the world’s—great landmark attractions,” said Richard A. Marin, President and CEO of the New York Wheel LLC. “There are very few opportunities in life to get involved with a project of this magnitude. We believe that the Wheel will quickly become an iconic fixture and we are proud and excited to bring it to Staten Island, New York City, and the Tri-State area.”

-“As the first ever designer outlet complex in New York City, the development of Harbor Commons will provide a once in a lifetime opportunity for specialty retailers to expand their stake in the most vibrant market in the country,” said Donald Capoccia, Managing Principal and Founder of BFC Partners. “We are proud to announce this exciting project, which will be the go-to location for millions of New Yorkers and tourists each year seeking a breathtaking and free ferry ride to a dynamic waterfront destination with a unique world of value shopping and great dining.”

-“For the last two years, I have anxiously been waiting for this day,” said Statem Island Borough President James Molinaro. “This wheel is a game changer for Staten Island and it will permanently change the face of St. George in a positive way. There has never been a proposed project that has been as much accepted by the general population as this one. Going forward, Staten Island will be known as the Borough with the largest wheel in the world.”

-“The New York Wheel will undoubtedly become a new landmark in New York City, attracting visitors from all over, providing economic growth and a new visibility for Staten Island,
said Senator Charles E. Schumer. “It's sure to be a source of enjoyment for those who visit and I want to thank Mayor Bloomberg and the NYC Economic Development Corporation for creating this opportunity for the city.”

-“Building the world’s largest observation wheel along with a new retail complex will transform Staten Island’s waterfront,” said Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand. “This new iconic site in St. George will have a lasting impact on the Borough's economic growth and job creation.”

-“A Ferris wheel on Staten Island’s North Shore will give New Yorkers and tourists alike the opportunity to share the spectacular view of Manhattan’s skyline that Staten Islanders have enjoyed for decades,” said Rep. Michael Grimm.

-“For decades now people have talked about the potential of the Staten Island waterfront,” said State Assemblyman Matthew Titone. “At last, at long last, it looks like that potential will be fulfilled, and it will be fulfilled in a spectacular way. I hope to be on the inaugural ride of the New York Wheel.”

-“As a partner in the redevelopment of Coney Island, I've seen first-hand what can be achieved when the government and the private sector work together,” said State Senator Diane Savino. “I want to thank the Mayor for helping to usher in this project that will produce much needed jobs, as well as the potential for a real, long lasting economic boost for the North Shore.”

-“Community Board 1 wants to thank Mayor Bloomberg, Deputy Mayor Steel, EDC President Seth Pinsky, BFC Partners Founder Donald Capoccia and Richard A. Marin, President and CEO of the New York Wheel LLC for heeding our call for common sense development along the north shore waterfront,” said Joseph Carroll, District Manager of Community Board 1 in Staten Island.

In 2011, New York City attracted a record 50.5 million visitors, who generated more than $48 billion in economic impact. The tourism sector also supports 320,000 jobs. At the beginning of 2012, Mayor Bloomberg set a new goal to welcome 55 million annual visitors by 2015. In addition, New York City has continued to maintain its position as the most popular U.S. city destination for international visitors, the nation’s number one port of entry and the number one city destination for tourism spending. The City also maintains the highest share of overseas travel to the United States, at approximately 33 percent.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/47023

Welcome to Staten Eye-Land: World’s Tallest Ferris Wheel to Anchor New Waterfront Development

September 27, 2012
Branden Klayko

Quote:
Today, thousands of tourists and residents make a loop on the Staten Island Ferry between the borough and Manhattan, but as soon as 2016, they can also make a vertical loop on the world’s tallest Ferris wheel, anchoring a new mixed-use waterfront project on the North Shore waterfront in St. George. Mayor Bloomberg today unveiled plans for Harbor Commons, which includes 350,000 square feet of retail space for 100 outlet mall stores, a 200-room, 120,000 square foot hotel, and a massive green-roofed parking structure, but all eyes were on the projects signature element, the 625-foot-tall New York Wheel will offer stunning views of New York City and Harbor to an estimated 4.5 million people per year.

The Harbor Commons and New York Wheel developments flank the Richmond County Bank Ballpark, home of the minor league Staten Island Yankees, and rise from the site of two large surface parking lots at the ferry landing.

SHoP Architects with Lee Weintraub Landscape Architects designed the $230 million mixed-use outlet mall-entertainment-hotel complex at Harbor Commons to relate to the surrounding Staten Island community while still providing a monumental presence on the waterfront and ferry landing. “At SHoP, we like taking typilogies traditionally considered suburban or car-dominated and turning them inside out, making them urban in their experience” said Vishaan Chakrabarti, principal at SHoP. “It’s not a mall in the traditional sense.”

A series of undulating ribbon-like green roof structures are arrayed at Harbor Commons that define three open-air pedestrian corridors through the site. Each ribbon is punctuated by grids skylights where north-south passages connect the corridors. “It’s about organizing pedestrian corridors,” said Chakrabarti. “We looked to create a contemporary version of an Italian hill town. The great hill towns have interesting spines.” Floor plates gradually shift as the site negotiates a 25-foot grade change. Facade treatments and materials are still being determined, but will reflect the industrial waterfront site. Chakrabarti said SHoP is exploring a signage and art program that will enliven the waterfront facade. “As day turns to night, the ribbon’s presence on the waterfront is elevated as they start to glow.” Chakrabarti said. Whatever the final design, however, it “needs to be respectful of the waterfront.”

The Ferris wheel on the north side of the ballpark will take the world’s tallest title, topping the Singapore Flyer by 84 feet and dwarfing other iconic wheels like the London Eye which stands just over 440 feet tall. The $250 million wheel will contain 36 football-shaped pods carrying 40 passengers each for the 38 minute ride. The NYC Economic Development Corporation estimated that at peak season the wheel will spin up to 30,000 visitors a day. The New York Wheel’s resemblance to its London equivalent is more than passing, it’s being designed by Starneth, whose team includes members who built the Eye. Surrounding the New York Wheel, a 100,000 square foot commercial terminal building continues the theme of green ribbons roofs, adding an array of wind turbines and solar panels. The structure will include restaurant, retail, theater, and exhibition space over a nearly 1,000-car parking structure.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM.