View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:39 AM

Express-News has another view from inside the Civic Park:

No doubt the outer curvature with the window coffering of the hotel was also inspired by the Tower of the Americas. Seeing now the interior side, even though this image is not from ground level, I wonder if the tower itself would be reflected on the glass wall of inner curve.

As big a flight deck roofline as they have atop the office building, it's too bad they couldn't have somehow made a full rooftop park to overlook the lower Civic Park. Something to make it all less of a sterile, suburban corporate office park and perhaps more of a tighter, downtown park. You can see that they tentatively want to do it with a couple little corner roof gardens, but they are not being daring enough to go all the way.

Unfortunately, we do not see here what the future residential component also flanking the Source Plaza with the hotel will look like. That was probably the most attractive part of the Gensler rendering and is key to framing the tower view at the corner plaza gateway into the park. Zachry's previous renderings suggest something much flatter than Gensler's. I admit, I would have been thrilled with Gomez Vazquez's futuristic W Hotel arch.