View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
I remember once going for a late night swim on a hot summer night (a couple of years ago ?? I think) at the main beach in Parksville. Well...not really a swim per se, we waded to our bellies with cold beer in hand There was a large cruise ship slowly passing by (heading north) and we could hear the people and music coming from the ship.. there was a movie playing and lots of lights and laughing.. pretty cool experience. Then it just drifted outta sight on its way to Alaska .

Nanaimo is just in a geographically bad position for cruises I guess...too close to Vancouver, and when those US ships have to make one foreign stop it's hard to beat Victoria with all it has to do already being a major tourist destination - which they have to pass by anyway.
I think many of the Seattle based cruises sail on the west side of Vancouver Island. That make Nanaimo quite a bit out of the way.

When I did the repositioning cruise in the past. It left LA, did San Francisco, Astoria, Victoria, Nanaimo and ended in Vancouver. When it leaves Victoria at 6:00 pm it is not scheduled to dock in in Nanaimo until 7:00 am the next day it moves very slowly and wonders around a bit.

Nanaimo to Vancouver was the same way, leaves at 6:00 pm and arrives at Canada Place at 7:00 am the next morning.

The ship we were on can do 25 knots (which is faster than BC Ferries). Unless it is needs to make up time, they drift along at a much lower speed.

They are neat ships. I never thought I would like cruises, however after doing one or two I am hooked. Cost wise they are good deals. You need to pick the cruise link with the correct demographic. For me Norwegian has the right balance.