View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I don't think that the cost of living in San Antonio is really that much lower. But there is a big difference that I would agree with and that is "cheap housing".

There is a lot of "cheap" housing and that is not really a good thing. Houses don't seem to hold their values or appreciate like they could/should because there are so many neighborhoods where they've built cheap housing.

I think that's one of the reasons they have to annex to increase their tax base because many of the old neighborhoods just don't stand the test of time. And of course those areas eventually hurt the better constructed neighborhoods as they fall into disrepair.

Many people add wealth by selling a house that has appreciated in a healthy market.
San Antonio is growing due to job growth not because of a abundance of cheap housing.
San Antonio isn't any different than other city as far housing. You will find The same builders in Austin, Dallas, Houston etc. San Antonio is a older city so it will have many more older neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean they were built cheaply or lower quality. There are some neighborhoods that need to be rehabilitated.

As far as appreciation San Antonio has ranked high, at the top of many lists.

http://www.searchsahomes.net/builder...kets-for-2010/
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.