View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:56 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think the city's bridges are second (after the skyscrapers) on my list of things I like about New York. In fact, the bridges are probably a more visual connection for some because they are scattered over and around all boroughs.
Absolutely, NYguy. In their own way, they are as sublime as the ESB.

The Williamsburg Bridge:

makezine.org

wikimedia.org

The Throgs Neck Bridge:

(Metropolitan Transit Authority)

The Manhattan Bridge:

bookcase.com/~claudia

cache.eb.com

The Brooklyn Bridge:

belchfire.net

blueroof.files.wordpress.com

scotthaefner.com

The Queensboro Bridge:

rockphotography.co.uk

kioskrealty.com
(Magnificent!)

The Triborough Bridge:

richmangalleries.com

z.about.com

The Whitestone Bridge:

Metropolitan Transit Authority

darkgiftdesign.com

The Verrazano Bridge:

blog.dr2ooo.com

imagecache2.allposters.com

The George Washington Bridge:

NYTimes.com

pictopia.com

Per Wikipedia, Le Corbusier (Charles-Edouard Jeanneret) said of the George Washington Bridge:

"The George Washington Bridge over the Hudson is the most beautiful bridge in the world. Made of cables and steel beams, it gleams in the sky like a reversed arch. It is blessed. It is the only seat of grace in the disordered city. It is painted an aluminum color and, between water and sky, you see nothing but the bent cord supported by two steel towers. When your car moves up the ramp the two towers rise so high that it brings you happiness; their structure is so pure, so resolute, so regular that here, finally, steel architecture seems to laugh. The car reaches an unexpectedly wide apron; the second tower is very far away; innumerable vertical cables, gleaming against the sky, are suspended from the magisterial curve which swings down and then up. The rose-colored towers of New York appear, a vision whose harshness is mitigated by distance."

And then there are the Central Park masterpieces:

joebly.com

joebly.com

joebly.com

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Jan 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM.