Thread: Winnipeg Ice
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 3:20 PM

^ Unless The Rink offered the Bisons a sweetheart deal, I would be greatly surprised if they moved their games there. Wayne Fleming Arena isn't much, but it's home to the Bisons and they presumably have a pretty good arrangement with first dibs on the place. Plus, the U of M has demonstrated on numerous occasions that it has no interest in building up any sort of fanbase for its sports teams, so I doubt they would have any interest in The Rink in that regard.

And also, for The Rink, having the Bisons would mean giving up some pretty prime ice time. Seeing that the Bisons can't/won't pay market rate for that ice, it's a burden The Rink would have to bear.

Bottom line, I see the U of M Bisons just carrying along business as usual at their home rink which will be spiffed up courtesy of the Ice with a new scoreboard, some new concessions and a coat of paint, so it won't look quite like the community club arena circa 1981 that it currently looks like. Maybe that will entice a few fans to come out.