View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:15 AM
them bones

420ft wouldn't make it the tallest building (Chase up the way is 486ft), but it would be the 2nd tallest. IIRC, zoning (i.e. the airport) only allows for about 475ft on that block.

Interesting concept, but I think the site is where the W Hotel project was partially killed due to the preservation issues of the athletic club building. To me, due to the proximity of other similar sized towers, this would be far better suited to the Hance Park area between downtown and midtown.

The best promontory points in Phoenix are its mountains and will always be so.

From a design perspective, that outdoor level at the top with all that concrete would be brutally hot and oppressive in the summertime. I don't necessarily expect a Danish designer to really understand that about Phoenix. The design approach there has to be entirely about shade.

*EDIT*
If you look closely, you can see that the renderings show it in a few locations around downtown (all within 2-3 blocks). According to the Phoenix guys, this would be built on the Arizona Science Center block, which is not shown here and is at 6th and Adams. That would give it a little better view of downtown, but also explains why it is so short (closer to the airport).

Last edited by plinko; Dec 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM.