View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
Well I never said I was worried. Even if investors run out of funding and it ends up out of operation, or the city takes it over; I will still derive enjoyment from it, even if it would be a little sad. I'm merely discussing my thoughts on whether it will be a success in that matter.

I've taken the ferry over a thousand times, I'm well aware that there is a built in base of tourists, and it will be built within an urban area of 22ish million people (albeit in the 2nd/3rd "ring").
Well, let's just say you sound very concerned that something will go wrong.

Quote:
Understand that the majority of tourists spend their time in Manhattan, and that even with the ferry, St.George can not compete with central London for access to the tourist market. Considering that several of these observation wheels have faced economic troubles, it's something to consider.
Also understand that St. George is not intended to compete with Central London. That' is not the way it works. People stand in long lines for a simple trip to the Statue of Liberty, but you wouldn't say there's a lot to do on that island either. Listen, there's always a possibility that things can go wrong, but there is really no reason to believe things can't or won't go right as far as this development goes. New York City is not run by a bunch of amateurs, and I don't think anybody involved in this proposal is in it to lose money. And all would have far more concerns about it than you or I, so if it moves forward, you better believe it's because there's a pretty good chance of success here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.