View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sananto View Post
I just wonder why San Marcos is included in the Austin Metro area instead of SA. Is it because Hays County borders Travis and not SA? Looking at today's newspaper is a section about higher education in the San Antonio area and there you will find Texas State University and its commitment to San Antonio. Also you wonder why San Marcos High School is in districts with San Antonio high schools instead of Austin. It seems to me that San Marcos has more in common with SA than Austin. Also while at it, I see also included in the section is Schreiner Institute of Kerrville. Do you think Kerr County will ever be added to the SA metro area? If Hays was part of the SA metro area, that would place SA just below the Pittsburgh metro area.
Ha ha - good question. I had to go look at the map myself to see why you would ask that. I never gave it a thought, but its actually hard to tell which one it would belong to. I think it has to do with commuting patterns - Google it and you will find info. If that is true, then probably more people commute between Austin and SM for work, ect than they do between SA and SM.

Texas does have big cities, but just taking simple population into account is an unfair comparison when comparing older, more established mid-western cities like Pitt. If you were to take the same land area that SA encompasses, Pitt would devour a lot of population and become very big. I think a better gauge to check the "metropolitanousity" of a city is population density - its a least worth giving it a weighting in the factor.