View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 1:33 AM

^ From a Riverview standpoint, it would turn the riverbank into a no-man's-land as crosstown traffic would zip along the inevitable stroad/expressway-lite along what is now Churchill Drive. It wouldn't be the end of the world (and I concede it would probably be useful from a transportation perspective), but I can tell you that I wouldn't be thrilled about it. 30 storey apartment tower, no problem... super-stroad river crossing, not so much.

I do agree that pedestrian/AT bridges would do a lot to improve neighbourhood connectivity. Looking at a map, bridges are never really that long of a drive from one to the next until you get to the far outer suburbs where you're driving a lot no matter where you go. However, in some cases it can be quite a long walk to access a bridge, even in the inner city. I love the idea for a McFadyen Park-Fort Rouge Park ped bridge, and I'm sure it would be well used (CV actually included it in their long term plan at one point). The other sites would be perfect too. One other one that came up in city documents before was across the Red River by the Osborne BRT station... the idea was to make the transitway accessible to those living in Norwood Flats.