View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:17 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
hey, right on. one potential snag did occur to me after I posted that: the traffic volumes are large enough here that I think northbound it backs up to this intersection during a red light at Van Ness and Market sometimes, or often. that might gum this up. 'course, maybe you could have another one at that intersection, bring that statue in pseudolus' post back (is that the one at Market and Dolores now? or is that Simón Bolívar?)...
I think as far as car traffic is concerned, if they kept the red lights at North/South Van Ness then the roundabout would work. However, I don't know how they could get the muni to work efficiently, it would allow all cars (N. onto Van Ness from W. Market, or S. onto Van Ness from E. Market) to drive over the muni tracks. I also don't think it would be good for pedestrians, you basically have to stop all cars going all directions to allow pedestrians to cross. Otherwise you have to stop cars at each street exit, creating a back up of cars inside the roundabout. Another option to not disrupt the current street flow is to make the center island very small, basically a median and not a true roundabout.