View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
This proposed facility won't be equipped to handle anyone who has used meth recently.

Alcohol and opiates will be their wheelhouse. Limited medical treatment, limited psych support. Not equipped for meth and benzos, which are the real huge problems in our province right now, the ones causing the largest social harms per user. You need specialized care to deal with that. This facility will be useful, but shouldn't be government sponsored.
Incorrect.

These facilities deal with all addiction issues. I don't believe you know much about the current substance abuse epidemics in Western Canada. If you believe benzodiazpines are the "real" problems, and opiates are not, then you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Benzodiazepines: Use and abuse of these medications has been decreasing or remained stable since the 80s. Prescriptions for benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax, etc) peaked in the late 70s, and has been dropping since. Doctors are phasing them out. There is no credible evidence to suggest this is an epidemic in Manitoba. Unless you have a source that can disprove this, I have a feeling you are misled.

Meth: There is a meth crisis in all Western Canadian provinces. However, treatment for meth is no different than treatment for crack cocaine (epidemic started in mid 90s in Winnipeg). It is foolish to believe the BORC is not equipped to deal with meth addicts.

Opiates: Opiates are indeed a crisis in Western Canada. Do you have any idea how many people are dying of drug overdoses, especially from fentanyl in BC and Alberta? It's a nation wide crisis. Opiates, not meth, cause more social harm per user. Benzodiazepines are relatively far down the list in terms of causing social harm. I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but suggesting benzodiazepines are a bigger problem than opiate is absurd:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioi...2017-1.4455518

Last edited by Jets4Life; Nov 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM.