View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The indigenous person did not have intent to sell the lobster. It was accidentally stolen from him by the company and then sold. That is the point at which the crime happened. I'm kind of surprised no one bothered to read the article to answer the question, they all just assumed it didn't explain it because you asked?

You know what a "land settlement" is, right? It's the purchase of land by Canada from the people who owned the land. All members of that nation were considered to have collectively owned the land, and now Canada owns the land, and the money they received was the payment Canada gave them for the land.

I don't understand what you're not understanding here?

This has actually happened in Thunder Bay twice, Fort William First Nation had two illegal land seizures. The first was about 24 square kilometers of farmland, which was where they intended to establish their community as an agricultural community to be self sufficient. Canada took it in the 1860s because white people were moving to the region and wanted farmland, and it was good farmland. The community was finally paid for this land in 2012. Next, in the late 1800s and early 1900s, two islands and a large piece of mainland were taken from the reserve by Canada so that the Canadian Pacific and Grand Trunk railways could build port facilities in the Kaministiquia River Delta (which used to be almost entirely in the reserve, and now absolutely none of it is—the reserve is actually nearly landlocked). They demolished the entire reserve to build this, moving everyone to a swampy area about 5 miles away. This land was paid for in the early 2000s. Every member of the reserve received a lump sum of money when these agreements went through, but the reserve also put a lot of it into savings and investments. They recently voted in favour of doing away with the Indian Act, meaning they will no longer be eligible for a wide variety of federal benefits, but they don't need them. The sale of their land to Canada finally going through after over 150 years is supporting them financially. They're also co-operating very strategically with the city to manage various larger economic projects.

You can't compare this to the situation in Belgium.

They are part of this country. They're a distinct part, like Quebec. They have their own language, culture and customs and they want those recognized and protected. Like Quebec. They have land and they want to decide what happens on it. Like Quebec.
I missed where it said he is accused of stealing lobster in the article. Instead there’s this: Federal crown prosecutor Mark Stares dismissed Zheng's version, saying a company document valued Indigenous lobster at $4.50 a pound.
...which sounds like he bought it??? Which means somebody sold it?

We are all distinct and want to maintain our own cultures... I just don’t understand the negativity towards being part of it.