View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:24 AM

skimmed

BC, lower mainland has a lot of ties to its washington states neighbours, the place i used to work 3 people in my department all owned property or homes at Mt Baker and according to them it was a majority of canadian owners and similiar where a lot of washington state residents own property/homes in whistler, the sunshine coast, the gulf islands and vancouver island.

my friend used to go camping all the time across the border growing up, as a lot of churches in the lower mainland/fraser valley have ties across the border and they had camps on the US side.

there were also quite a few people who were from vancouver and dated someone in seattle, eventually in the cases i know the seattle people moved to vancouver.

The largest town across the border bellingham has a TV station based out of bellingham but aimed at the vancouver area as it has an office in vancouver and most of the commercials are for vancouver area businesses, before vancouver;s radio scene bloomed, think 80's early 90's there were a couple stations based out of bellingham that targeted vancouver listeners.

even today there is a punjabi radio station based in wa state that caters to vancouver i believe it was done as it was easier to set up a station there instead of inside of canada.

Now in alberta i feel miles away from the border as i am lol, but an old coworker was from nova scotia, she dated a born and raised southern albertan and he and I always seemed to know so much more about the states than we did of anyting east of here where as she knew nothing of the states it just wasn't something she couldn't relate to the way we did, as we grew up going to the states often and could talk about american things like restaurant chains or stores we had both been to and knew about