View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Spoke to a former store owner at the Forks who said things for retailers there are far from rosy. Forks management is indifferent to their tenants and any suggestions fall on deaf ears. More stores are closing than opening and opening of the CMHR has had no positive effect on retail. Paid parking at the Forks has been the biggest detriment for retailers, you can't charge for something that was always free especially with so many other shopping options in the city.
Gotta say, not buying it... the forks is infinitely more packed with people now than it was 2-3 years ago. I don't think the CMHR did it, but rather the work at the marketplace though.

Free parking isn't and shouldn't be the problem. It's always a challenge to find a stall at the forks and it's high time for Winnipeggers to stop letting a parking metre influence the market so strongly.

Lastly, that's what tenants do. There are good and bad landlords, but tenants generally always complain because life ain't easy and there's a bogeyman to pin it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I would take anything said by a "former store owner" (i.e. failed businessperson) with a grain of salt
exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Yup, no proof at all just two restaurants shutting down and six or seven stores, everything's good though! Go ask someone at McNally Robinson how they're doing at the Forks, selling three books a week just isn't cutting it at that location, but since most of you seem to be business experts carry on...

Kind of like Joseph Hazelwood stating it was just a small hole in the Exxon Valdez!
Yeah, not really. Shuffling the deck happens when you overhaul a place like the forks, a place used to not changing with tenants that coasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I personally know a retailer who was dying to go to the Forks but found the proposed rent too high ( I think the it was 15% of gross sales). This person has since gone elsewhere and is doing quite well. Retailers still want in to the Forks but will have to pay a premium for the privilege. The people leaving are basically the low end operators it seems to me. the target market there is changing. Some will like it, some won't.
Smart business. They need to make money.