View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Thirty-five years ago you couldn't breathe in Los Angeles. Things in the city weren't great on a lot of levels. But the city is booming now--just take a look at the old downtown, fast becoming at least as good as it was in the '50s, if with a different purpose--who'd have thought it would come back from its sorry state of 35 years ago? Great times to be living in L.A. It's the best of times, it's the worst of times, as Dickens might have put it.
GW, you are right...35 years ago and longer...there was a lot to be concerned about...today the noir is not visible and yes some areas are run-down and poor, but compared to some other cities we're not so bad off. Do we need to work harder? Sure do, but at least the awful smog I mention in another post today is so much better. A job well done I think.

BTW, these conversations back and forth should always try to be constructive…sometimes I read comments that I interpret one way while others may see differently. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone’s comments that were meant to degrade others…just based on the circumstances they may have been exposed to. I too saw homes in Mexico that were surrounded by barbed wire, and this was in 1957. A truly bizarre and unforgettable exposure to my young eyes.

Last edited by belmont bob; Jan 8, 2014 at 7:24 AM. Reason: just my ten-cents worth....