View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...rginia/576313/

Amazon HQ2 and the ‘Gentrification of Jobs’
Amazon has said each HQ2 site will result in 25,000 jobs. Will the working-class benefit? Will Amazon train locals for future employment?

SARAH HOLDER
I am frustrated to keep seeing this failed argument. What people seem to want is high paying low skill or like mentioned high paying jobs in which the employer pays for all the training. High pay low skill jobs are lots of the jobs going away. If you want to advance to a high pay job needs you need advance your skills to that level. Be glad high pay jobs are available and be something you can work towards. Cities fight over high paying jobs for a reason.

I can't speak for New York but I know locally where I live that colleges have programs that align to major local jobs. Those same colleges have programs to help pay for if not cover the full cost of those programs as well. Job prep programs exist as well as sort of a boot camp into some careers as well. Like the colleges many of those programs help pay for if not cover the full cost as well. So any time I hear people complaining about not being able to get a higher paying job and the excuses of not being able to gain the skills I point to these programs. I know more than a few people that have used them to advance themselves and with many of them coming from the same of similar situations as the people complaining.

The locals just got a gift of 25,000 plus high paying jobs coming in the coming years. Find out the advance skills you will need and start working on those. Then go for those jobs. Or well stay complaining, not investing the effort into yourself and be stuck with lower paying jobs.

Ok rant over...