View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 5:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I'm actually now starting to rethink my support of Rahm. I'm certainly cutting off my financial support at this point. I just sent him a letter the other day letting him know that I'm not donating another dime if he passes that stupid affordable housing law.

Oh no! What is Rahm going to do for money if you turn off your personal spigot?!?!

Your characterization in previous posts of Rahm being a reformer and at least somewhat implying that he's not fully part of the machine (mentioning Karen Lewis as 'machine' was pretty bizarre) is highly off-base. Rahm's been an absolute disappointment as a reformer - at least in his first term. I realized this completely a couple years ago.

For the record, this is not the way to address housing affordability - I agree with those who have already said as much. It's also quite a poor 'bang for the buck' so to speak.

However, even if enacted as currently proposed, this will not "shut down" residential development in the city. It could and would impact - delay, make more challenging, and for some - kill - more financially marginal projects, yes indeed. But residential development in Chicago would go on.

That stated, I agree that it is definitely a possibility that this gets held up in Committe a while through the election(s), and may change - perhaps substantially - afterward.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM.